3 Day International Training Workshop on Use of Information Technology in Irrigation Management for Small Scale Farming Communities in Rural Areas from December 25-27, 2012 at Islamabad, Islamic Republic of Pakistan
INIT in collaboration with COMSATS Institute of Information Technology Islamabad, Pakistan and Islamic Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (ISESCO) arranged a 3 Day International Workshop on ‘Use of Information Technology’ December 17-18, 2012 in COMSATS Institute of Information Technology, Islamabad, Pakistan.
Out of 57 OIC states 24 are agrarian with at least 50% of labor employed in agricultural sector. Unfortunately in spite of this most under developed countries are also from OIC. This is because the lack of usage of modern technologies gelled with Information Technology in agriculture and Resource management. Land and resources thus underutilized.
The focus of the workshop was to provide a platform for capacity building, cooperation, and collaboration and sharing the best practices in use of IT in irrigation Management for Small Scale farming.
Technical sessions were comprised of presentations and practical exercises thus provide an excellent opportunity for
- Training and capacity building of the participants from different countries through demonstration of practical scientific ways to enhance agricultural productivity especially in small scale farms.
- Share the best practices adopted for efficient water use and harnessing the maximum potential of arid land.
- Encouraged to learn the best practices in water management and motivate to implement them in their respective countries accordingly.
- It literate the participants with hand on practice of IT tools available for agriculture and enable them to exploit the opportunities and resources to the optimum level.
- Fore see the possible collaborations and cooperation among the OIC states in agriculture sector.
5 resource persons from 3 countries trained representatives from 17 institutions of following 7 countries.
- Islamic Republic of Pakistan
- COMSATS Institute of Information Technology (CIIT), Islamabad, Pakistan
- Pakistan Army.
- Fatima Jinnah Women University, Rawalpindi, Pakistan.
- AJK Forest Department, Muzzafarabad (Azad Jammu & Kashmir), Pakistan.
- Pir Mehar Ali Shah Arid Agriculture University, Rawalpindi, Pakistan.
- Soil and Water Conservation Research Institution, Chakwal, Pakistan.
- National Agriculture Research Center, Islamabad, Pakistan.
- FAST SMS Solution, Islamabad, Pakistan.
- Federal Urdu University of Arts Science and Technology, Islamabad, Pakistan.
- Cotton Research Institute, Ayub Agriculture Research Institute, Faisalabad, Pakistan.
Republic of Sudan
- Gedaref Digital City Organization, Khartoum, Sudan.
- New Halfa Agricultural Corporation, Dep’t. Of Agricultural Engineering, Irrigation and Water Management Section, Khartoum, Sudan.
- People Republic of Bangladesh
- Agricultural information Center, Bangladesh, Agriculture Research Council, farmgate, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
- Islamic Republic of Iran.
- Razi University, Kermanshah, Iran.
- State of Palestine
- An Najah University, Tulkarm, Palestine.
- Arab Republic of Egypt.
- Assiut University, Assiut, Egypt.
- Republic of Senegal.
- Geographical Information System, Disaster Risk Management, Republic of Senegal.
Click here for Pictures
- Dr. Mobashir Riaz Khan
Department of Meteorology
COMSATS Institute of Information Technology,
- Dr. Ahsan Abdullah.
King Abdulaziz University,
Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
- Dr. Bahman Farhadi Bansouleh
Water Engineering Department,
Faculty of Agriculture,
Kermanshah, Islamic Republic of Iran.
- Dr. Bashir Ahmed
Senior Scientific Officer
NARC, Park road,
- Dr.Athar Ashraf